Dr. Tomizawa is a board-certified gastroenterologist at UW Medicine's Harborview Medical Center and a Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Washington. He completed his formal GI training in Japan before moving to the U.S., with a focus on the endoscopic management of early gastrointestinal cancer. While in Japan, he had the privilege of working with some of the world's leading experts in advanced endoscopy and having trained with endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD). He is one of the few gastroenterologists in the region who provides ESD.
Dr. Tomizawa has served on the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) Committee, Editorial Review Boards of ASGE official journals (GIE and Video-GIE), and co-chaired sessions at national conferences. Since he was recruited to UW, Dr. Tomizawa has been awarded by ASGE for Endoscopy Research Award (2020), GIE Best Reviewer Award (2019, 2021, 2022, 2023), and Video-GIE Best Reviewer Award (2021), and iGIE Best Reviewer Award (2023).
He performs other advanced endoscopic procedures including endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), radiofrequency ablation (RFA), endoluminal stenting, complex stricture remediation and small bowel enteroscopy.
- Gastroenterology, 2016, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, 2013, American Board of Internal Medicine
Education & Training:
- Fellowship in Interventional Endoscopy, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2017
- Fellowship in Gastroenterology, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL, 2016
- Master of Science, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2016
- Residency in Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, 2013
- Internship in Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, 2011
- Medical Education, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan, 2002
- iGIE Best Reviewer Award, 2023
- GIE Best Reviewer Award, 2023
- GIE Best Reviewer Award, 2022
- Video-GIE Best Reviewer Award, 2021
- GIE Best Reviewer Award, 2021
- ASGE Endoscopy Research Award, 2020
- GIE Best Reviewer Award, 2019
- Gastroenterology (Digestive)
- Telehealth Services